Tuesday, February 1, 2011

INKPOP MUST-READS – The House of Departed Minds

I’m back with another INKPOP MUST-READ!
departedminds
The House of Departed Minds
by Jonty
Book: Adventure, Historical Fiction, Romance, Mystery
Right and Wrong do not exist within these walls...
When Gabriel Spencer makes a stand against the horrific treatment of the mentally ill in America, in the year 1812, he is punished for doing the right thing by being thrown into the dark world of The House of Departed Minds. The house exists as an asylum for those who are considered to be outcasts from society.
Trapped within and having lost his life, Gabriel knows he needs to escape to save himself and the other good people like him. But hidden in the asylum he finds dark secrets, a whole new perspective of right and wrong... and the love of his life. He soon learns that sometimes doing the right thing isn't as simple or easy as it seems.
 
When I started reading this story I really had not expected something like this. But honestly, I’ve never seen anything like it before. The plot is so unique, and the characters, wow.
I love how the setting is so easy to melt into. You’re a part of this historical fiction. The description is amazing, full of action. I was at the edge of my seat the entire time. It was absolutely believable and wow.
The pacing is very near perfect. I haven’t caught any filler chapters yet, and as far as I can tell, all the scenes are crucial to the story. I’m absolutely hooked on it and I’m most certainly on the update list.
The main character is not your usual main character. Of course he’s got a goal, he wants to do the right thing, there’s always obstacles. But despite all this, he's not a mary-sue, he's very much a unique and admirable character. His goals are different, I really liked him from the first chapter. I rooted for him immediately because he came off as a really noble person. He's not the rash kind of character that's marching fearlessly into a difficult cause completely certain of success. He knows it's going to be hard but he does it anyway, despite the moments of doubt. He's very human, yet awesome all the same.
I’m not going to say ‘wow’ again. I’m going to go and finish reading. I recommend this story to fans of historical fiction all the way—and to just about everyone, really. This was a rare treat, especially on inkpop, and I’m glad I found it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah go jonty! woo! haha. Like what I've said in inkpop it's like a best seller book! ;) Every single chapter of the story will compel you to read the succeeding chapters. I definitely can't wait for the next chapter! From time to time I log in to inkpop just to see if jonty has already updated it :D

Anonymous said...

I love this story so much as well!
Go Jonty!! WOO!!
haha
I want more of it, now! hehe
(:

Trailer for The Wishing Well

(The trailer still has the title Autumn of Secrets, but that's the only thing that changed--the plot is the same!)


Thanks to Nickname for making this trailer!