Sunday, October 10, 2010

NaNo and THE BIG PROJECT.

Okay so, NaNoWriMo. I'm still doing 150k. The great debate right now is whether I'll necessarily do three books to make it that far. If the first one I start writing wants to get longer, I'm going to let it. Once it's finished, if I haven't made 150k, I'll start the other one. But if I happen to be on a roll, I'm not going to stop mid-novel because that would be a waste. So I have three projects being plotted right now, two for backup, and I don't know if the last one will be written on November at all. It depends on the length of the first two. But still, 150k is a really big number. I have to keep reminding myself of that.
These are the projects I have in mind:

Winter of Wishes - Part two for Autumn of Secrets. Olivia's in the artist's prison now, and if she doesn't get out soon to solve the mystery of the wishing well back home, her friends will all starve to death. It's not easy, though, to find a weak spot in the armor that keeps them trapped in that fort. She meets another musician named Caden who's been there for two hundred years, and he knows a little bit about writing magic into music. Can the two of them figure out an escape in time?

Captured by Light - Prequel to The Shadow and pretty much every other book I've ever written in my life, since they all take place in this world.
They met aboard a ship to America--four young witches from the greatest countries of that time. But only one of them was in control of everything, and her name was Maeve. She saw these other girls as sources, from which she would get the power necessary to achieve her goal...and return to the world she created so many years ago.
"I don't want to go to America," she decided that afternoon, gazing out over the waters. "Meet me tonight."

How to Fool a Vampire - in which Desi loses two friends, a third turns out to be a lying traitor, and she winds up alone on the streets of Romania (again.) It would be difficult to explain this one without explaining the other two, so I'll just leave it at that. My closest friends know what I'm talking about. :)

Those are my NaNoWriMo projects, in that order. I don't know if the last one will get written, but---once again---150k is a lot of words.

Now, as for THE BIG PROJECT.
I'm still going to write a historical fiction. I want so badly to immerse myself in the past, and let my mind float around in places that really have existed. This would be set in the WWII days. That's all I know about it. I know the MC's name is going to be Arlette. Her little sister's name is going to be Annie, and they'll live in America. I don't know anything else about what will happen there, which leaves me with only one option---research!
For once, research is something I'm excited about. I got out another notebook I'd been saving for a long time. It's just a regular fivestar notebook, with a light blue cover. I'm going to write stuff down in there, and there's a pocket for anything I might print out to go along with it. The plan is to immerse myself completely in life and how it was back then. That way when I start writing, I can be as accurate as possible.
And after all that research, I'm obviously not going to only write one book. Maybe a series of stand-alones set in that time period. But I'm really excited about this. I'm going to spend the winter and springtime researching, and it's most likely I'll start writing on the summer. This is definitely not something I'm doing for NaNo, though.
This is my big project, and I'm so excited about it. So we'll see what happens. :)
(If you guys get any ideas for a plot, or find websites that might help me with my research, please comment!)

That's about it for today. I hope all's well for you. ♥

1 comment:

Synn said...

Pleaseeee don't do a series with the same people for the BIG PROJECT. Please. I think it'd be a good challenge, for one thing, to make you write a stand-alone novel. ;P But for another, historical fiction is difficult enough without stringing it along into long series like that, and from what I've read of historical fiction... it gets ugly real fast if you do it wrong. :\

Trailer for The Wishing Well

(The trailer still has the title Autumn of Secrets, but that's the only thing that changed--the plot is the same!)


Thanks to Nickname for making this trailer!